Friday, January 20, 2006

Here's another exerpt from Mike Mason's book.

"One thing is certain: If we do not willingly give our children the right kind of attention, we shall be compelled to give them the wrong kind of attention. The time we do not spend caring and playing will be comsumed in silencing complaints and doing damage control. :ater on when our kids areolder, every hour we have not invested in loving them will be spent instead sitting in ofices of counsellors, principals, and probation officers.
I other words, children expose our idols. Every time we think of a child as "interrupting" or "interfering with" our lives, it's because we have erected an idol in the place where love alone ought to reign. Ironically, our idol may be some task we think we are performing for the sake of our children, only to find that we have exchandes the God of living relationships for an isolating god of our own devising. "

That said I'm going to be with my son. Enough of this dumb computer anyways.

6 comments:

Adele said...

It is amazing how often we can put things before people, how easily we are distracted from the important things in life. Thanks for sharing that Christy it was really thought provoking and I hope you enjoyed playing with Ben.

Amanda Brown said...

Christy, I have always admired your parenting skills. You are patient when I would be losing it ("I wah suh uh yur paw, umee") and your love for your kids is evident in all you do. You are a wonderful momma and I will be running to you when I have my own little screamer. :)

Janice said...

wow! what a good quote, it sure puts being a parent in perspective! i know i am guilty of thinking they are ruining my day or somedays life. I will try harder because i am the parent and they are just children!

D said...

Mike Mason is such a good author.

Stender Statement said...

Christy, I love reading your blogs. You are very thoughtful in your writing. This sounds like a wonderful book and when Wayne and I have children, it will be a definate read. From reading your comments and just knowing you and Dustin, I know that you two are awesome parents. Be encouraged as you continue to lead, guide, love and nurture your beautiful kids.

Lisa said...

Wow. That's it...just wow. Thank you!