Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Valentine Story.
















Seeing a it's Valentine's day and all I decided i would share a post about how my hubby and I ended up together. I don't think in all the years i've blogged that i have done that yet. It's a wonderful story and began so many years ago once upon a time on a beautiful island. A gulf just off the coast of Vancouver Island called Thetis Island. I think if I say island again i just might go crazy. I was young, only ninteen and I still had a lovely "pre baby" girlish figure. Much to my advantage might I add. :) Nestled on a beautiful bay of this island is a wonderful Bible School by the name of Capernwray harbour Bible Centre. Both Dustin and I were in attendance. This as my second year and Dustin's first year. i ended up being late to arrive as I's had an accident that ended in me losing the end of my finger. Yes that's a true story and I don't really feeling like regaling you on the nitty gritty details of that pleasant memory....So, I arrived late and Dustin was one of the first student's I was introduced to. I remember it exactly. I remember what he was wearing, where we were standing, what the weather was like, exactly what he said to me (It was pretty much just-hi). He was the most beautiful man I'd ever laid eyes on. He had a smile unlike any smile i'd ever seen. SO big and genuine. Transformed his entire face into this beautiful glowing piece of art. WOW am I cheezy! But this is true my friends. This is how I truly felt! For those of you who have never met Dustin he is a very special person. He is very tall and very handsome. Not only is he those things but he is the most sensitive man I know. he is extremely thoughful and a very loving father. His children adore him and respect him. My family and his LOVE him. He is hilarious and incredibly talented with a pencil in hand whether it be writng or drawing his skills are amazing. I know how much he loves the kids and I because I KNOW that if he were to fully pursue his dreams of becoming an author and illustrator of children's books he would undoubtedly succeed. And yet he pushes his dreams aside to devote more of his time to being with his family and loving us wholeheartledly. And even so he never complains. He gives himself so fully to his friendships that he is easily hurt. But to those who let him in, he will be eternally devoted. This is the man I love. Pretty everyone who knows him loves and respects him. Indeed you are a lucky person if have Dustin in your life. And I am the luckiest one of all because he loves me best of all.

Just a little sidetracked talking about my sweetheart. But, don't get me wrong...We've definitely had our share of disagreements and fights in our marrige. No person and no marriage is perfect. It seems to be easy to paint a perfect picture of life and marriage on a blog. Ours is far from it. But, we love eachother and are committed to making it work no matter what. We just happen to be passionate people, our love and our fights are heavy laden with it. But, we are learning.

Back to the story...

We were fast friends from the beginning as we both loved to be silly and shared a passion for art and the Word of God. Over the year we deepened in our respect and enjoyment of eachother. We even kidded how wierd it would be if we ended up together. And it did seem wierd at the time. Our love was not one of infatuation but one like to be shared between siblings a mutual admiration and respect. Except for the fact that i found Dustin to be VERY attractive. Well, so did most of the girls. In fact over the year I saw Dustin roaming about flitting form one girl to the next in his passionate pursit to find a woman to love. At the end of the year when Dustin proclaimed his affections for me I questioned him if I was "the next girl on his list, or if he genuinely wanted to pursue a relationship with me?" That got him to thinking. I told him I didn't care about him in a romantic sense and would prefer our relationship to remin as one of friends. He accepted this news gracefully. And then I went away for a weekend with my class to Tofino. The more i thought about it the less reasons i had for not pursuing more of a relationship with Dustin. I cared about him, I respected him, I enjoyed spending time with him. by the time I had returned i told him, that I wasn't ready to commit to anything but I did want to get to know him more. Two months later we were standing on the ferry dock saying a tearful goodby, fully commited to pursuing a marriage relationship with eachother.

The next summer months we difficult, we saw each other as often as possible and eventually I eneded up in the same city of him living with my dear friend Shareen. And he was living with his friend Luke. I was in nursing school and he was working construction. We taked about getting married an a few years and just enjoyed being together. Then one day he had a car accident. Everything changed after that. It put our lives on fast forward. He almost died and we both saw how fleeting this life really is. six months later we were married. We've now been married almost six years and we share three beautiful children. I couldn't have chosen a better man to share my life with and it's so onvious that him being in my life was a part of God's plan for me and he is the greatest gift and treasure I've ever recieved.

Here is a verse from the Bible, a verse that I feel has summarised my life with Dustin thus far.

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Romans 15:5

That is forever my prayer that Dustin and I will together in our relationship always be giving glory to our creator.

Happy Valentine's day sweetie. I love you!

10 comments:

Robyn said...

Wow Christy, thats an amazing story, and such a great testimony too! I didn't realise you went to Capernwray, many moons ago a friend and I spent a "taste and see" week at the Capernwray college in Bowral and had a ball. There were LOTS of Canadian students there :)
I'm so glad that you and Dustin have been blessed with each other.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Christy....your story is so touching! I don't know you in real life, but through your blog and your eloquent words (and your husbands also in his previous posts on here...) I can see you too so deeply love one another. The best part is that your foundation is in HIM. I only hope someday God will bless me with that kind of love. You are so blessed!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

Becky said...

I remember when you came home for Christmas from Capernwray, and you showed us some pictures, one of which was Dustin. I said "Why don't you date THAT GUY???".. And you said he was more like a brother to you. And a few months later you were dating. I love both of you guys.

keegan said...

Hi Christy- don't know if you remember me- it's Keegan (one of the suttie twins) from first year Capernwray. Wow- so much has changed since 1999...are you a nurse now? I can't believe you are living in the Okanagan where I grew up (Oliver), my parents live in Penticton now. I ran into Del Reimer in Abbotsford and he told me about the Capernwray crew taking over Summerland! Your kids are so beautiful!

Kacie said...

What an awsome story. you guys are odviously soul mates and you belong together. You are lucky to have such a great relationship.

Mama Bear said...

I just read the story about dustin's car accident on a previous post. That's crazy! He's lucky to be alive!

Anonymous said...

Hi- I hope you don't mind but I stumbled across your blog from Samantha's blog. Very cute story of how you met your hubby! I had actually posted one (Sam stole my blog post idea) this morning on how my husband and I met- at a Capernwray as well!! (Sweden- I was roommates with Samantha). Anyway- just thought I would leave a comment. Super cute family!!
God Bless...
Kerri Kincaid

Kristin said...

Happy Valentines day.

What a great story, it's so neat when we can look back and see how God as been a work in our lives, he totally knows what he is doing!
It makes me so happy to hear about other couples who are so happy in their marriages. :)

My hubby and I actually have a little Thetis Island history too, we got engaged at Pioneer Pacific and have holidayed on the Island as well. Ian has actually been going to camp there since he was in elementary school. It is a special place to us!

the Haazens :) said...

I continue to be amazed at how God can work all things together for good in our lives. What a beautiful and real love story! Thanks for sharing it=)

shareen said...

BAH! The memories that just came flooding back! Coming home to hear your strained voice on the phone hailing me to the hospital. Staying there forever, not knowing what was going on, eating at the same places every single day not even knowing what was entering our mouths. Christy, I am so grateful for those days together and that God showed you the preciousness of life through each other. You've blessed so many with that gift.